Labels

19 February 2011

Happy 4th birthday to our 'big girl' chickie

Time flies when you're having fun!

Four years ago today, my phone rang as I sat at my desk (overlooking a beautiful green park with huge leavy trees and lots of squirrels) on the 10th floor of a building up at Railway Square in Sydney.  Our UK chickies had safely hatched our first grandchild!

I could hear her wailing in protestation in the background as my son shared the news that all was well with mum and baby.  And then we got to have our first ever phone chat!  Tears of joy poured down my face and everyone in our office crowded behind me, faces beaming... they were so very happy for us!  Couldn't wait to see photos!

We've come a long way together in four years!  Last week I heard her telling her mummy (on Skype) that she was not to worry about the long trip over to NZ (mum and kids leave tomorrow morning)... they'd be 'fine' on the plane as long as they had a book to read and some pencils to colour with.  And they'd sleep, they have lovely new 'squishy' neck supports!  She remembers that it's a very long way to this side of the world, but she also remembers the good things about the journey.

Besides, by the time they get onto the plane in Heathrow she will have had two birthday celebrations already and she knows there's another one planned in New Zealand (with her twin cousins, Granma and uncle and aunt), and yet another one planned in Sydney later on.

Fancy that!  A birthday celebrated in 3 different countries!  I've never had one of those before, have you?  Little brother will be sharing in the parties... he had chicken pox when he turned one so he's definitely owed a few big parties now.

April Blackbird

1 comment:

ChickieChirps said...

This is fantastic, I hope the trip has gone brilliantly! And what a little darling.
BB