Labels

07 March 2010

This and that and Kiwi burgers

Whew!  We have had a busy week here in Spain.  Last Friday and Saturday the boss and his wife came over from Greece to visit his boat in the yard and have a little look around Mallorca.  We took them on a tiki tour to a few of our favourite places on the island and they really enjoyed it (we think).

Then on Saturday evening my brother-in-law and his family arrived for a visit from London.  We had a bit of an overlap with the boss and the family on Saturday night, but not a big deal as we had the family until Tuesday night so that was okay.  It was great to see everyone.  We hadn't met our 8 month old nephew yet, so it was lovely to finally see him in person, and our 3 year old niece had grown into a real little lady with lots to say!  The long weekend ended far too quickly and we were sad to see everyone leave on Tuesday afternoon.  They will have to come back though as we didn't get to see even half of the island!

I have had three Spanish lessons this week and I am really enjoying them.  My Spanish teacher talks to me in Spanish (and translates if I don't understand) and it really helps to hear it spoken more as understanding the spoken word is my biggest problem.  It seems to me that most Spanish people seem to speak at top speed!  I have to practice saying: "Puede hablar mas despacio, por favor?" (can you speak more slowly please?)!  

Our flights came through for our holiday back home in NZ and Australia, but then they got retracted again as there was a bit of a mix-up with them.  We are still waiting for the new flights.  I can't wait to go home for a holiday and visit our friends and family, but I really hate to pack.  Maybe the packing fairy will come and pack for me while I am procrastinating?  

On Wednesday I made Kiwi burgers for the boys for lunch.  I had forgotten how much I love the combo of fried eggs, beetroot, cheese, lettuce, tomato, bacon, gherkins and homemade burger patties!  So good, but hard to get your mouth around!

I wrote down my burger pattie recipe while I was making them as they were super yummy.

Yummy Homemade Burger Patties
(Makes 9 good size patties: feeds 4 - 5)

500g beef mince
1 egg
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 lge mushrooms very finely diced*
1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
1 medium/large onion finely diced
2 shakes of nutmeg
1 tsp beef stock
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all the ingredients together with your hands (yeah, I know, it's yucky, but it's the best way to mix it properly) and form into patties.  Shallow fry on each side until brown and cooked through.  I usually make a tiny pattie to start with just to check that they are going to taste okay... I adjust the seasoning at this point before I start frying the real burgers.

*For those of you who have mushroom haters in the family, I am 99% sure they will not taste them as long as you don't tell them they are in there.  One of the boys on the boat doesn't eat mushies and he loved the burgers so much he had three!  The mushrooms definitely help keep the patties nice and moist and add flavour.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

Hasta luego!

Arabella Chickie in Palma de Mallorca

No comments: