Labels

29 March 2010

Finally...

I've finally managed to get some photos of the duvet cover I made for my littlest Chickadee. Apologies for the long wait Arabella.

They're not wonderful photos, but I think you'll be able to see what I did.  Those pillow slips are at least 30 years old so it's good to see them revived.


Recognise the eyes peering over the top of the cover?  Sweet man that he is!  I left a longer 'piece' on the top so the pretty top sheet can fold down over it. That said, nobody uses top sheets and duvets on cots anymore, this is merely decoration.  I was about to throw the cover into a 'soak' and 'wash'.  Came out really well and now looks really good. I was happy the lace didn't shrink.

The bit in the middle is the front of the old pillow case, then there's some ribbon and then some old lace.  I finished it off with a 'pretty' stitch on my machine.  Have 'stuck' the ends together with Valcro for quick closing.

I joined the two fronts of the old pillow slips and covered the join with the ribbon strip (actually 3 strips of ribbon... 2 narrow on the outside and a thicker piece in the middle) you see in the middle.  Made two bows to pretty up the edges.  Stitched them on flat.  They washed well.

Did the same pretty stitching right across the back, top and bottom. Not nearly as nice as my grandmother's beautiful hand stitching, but I simply don't have the time. Or the inclination, if I'm honest.


This is the detail from one of the top sheets I made for the cot.  Ancient lace from my kist. I bought the new cotton sheeting though.



All soaked, washed, dried and ironed.  I was most relieved to see it all survived intact.

So, what do you think?  Haven't got photos of the fitted sheets... they look like nothing except a mass of white material really.

April Blackbird.

2 comments:

ChickieChirps said...

It's beautiful!!!! The littlest chickadee is one lucky lady! This is something she can pass on to her kids too.

Arabella

ChickieChirps said...

I'm so glad you like it! I know it's not 'seamstress' perfect, but it was made with love and I so enjoy doing this sort of thing.

Might make up for not making her a big blankie as I've done for her cousins.

April Blackbird